I attended the 2012 Summer Institute on Theology and Disability at the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago, Illinois. Below is a collection of notes and resources from the conference. This list will continue to be updated, additions, updates and corrections are welcome, just send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 2012 Summer Institute on Theology and Disability
- 2012 Summer Institute on Theology and Disability Community Forum
- Summer Institute on Theology and Disability Facebook Page
- Summer Institute Photos (Thank you Sue Edison-Swift!)
Monday Sessions, Presentations by the Summer Institute Faculty and Mentors"
Disability and Creation by Hans Reinders, Ph.D.
- Download a paper on Disability and Creation from Hans (Word doc)
- Notes from Presentation by Hans presentation on Disability and Creation
- Discussion of "Disability and Creation" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
What Matters Most: Families, Disabilities, and Compelling Congregational Supports by Erik Carter, PhD
- Erik's Presentation, "What Matters Most"
- Notes from Erik's Presentation
- Discussion of "Compelling Congregational Supports" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Disability and Chronic Pain by Deborah Creamer, PhD
- Transcript of Disability and Chronic Pain Presentation (also available on Google Docs
- Discussion of "Disability and Chronic Pain" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Theology and Dementia by John Swinton, PhD
- What Does it Look Like to be Remembered? blog post about the presentation by John Swinton
- Notes from John "Dementia and Being Forgotten"
- Discussion of "Theology and Dementia" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Recovering Care in Theologies of Disability by Tom Reynolds, Ph.D.
- Draft of Tom's Presentation on Caring
- Notes from Tom Reynolds on Caring
- Discussion of "Recovering Care in Theologies of Disability" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
The Black Church, The Disability Rights Movement, and a Liberating Theology of Disability by Rev. Russell Ewell
Tuesday Sessions, Biblical and Scriptural Foundations
Access and Inclusion: The Biblical Vision by Fr. Donald Senior, C.P.
- Notes from Don Senior on Disabilities in the New Testament
- Discussion of "Access and Inclusion" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Special Needs in Hebrew Scripture and Jewish Sacred Writings by Rabbi Dr. Bradley Shavit Artson
- Discussion of "Special Needs in Hebrew Scripture" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Disability and New Testament Studies by Candida Moss
Symposium on Research and Spiritual Supports by Erik Carter, PhD
- Discussion of "Research and Spiritual Supports" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Theology/Ministry and Mental Illness by John Swinton, Ph.D.
Integrating Disability into Seminary Curriculum by Bill Gaventa, MDiv and Deborah Creamer, PhD
- Discussion of "Integrating Disability into Seminary Curriculum" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Wednesday Sessions, Thinking Theologically about and with Families
Jay’s Life and Faith Journey….and Mine by H. Rud Turnbull
Identity and Ability: Why who you are is More Important than What you Do by Amy Julia Becker, M.Div.
- Draft of Amy's presentation
- Discussion of "Identity and Ability" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Sibling Support and Spirituality by Katie Arnold
- The Sibling Support Project
- Discussion of "Sibling Support" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Hard Choices: The Promises and Perils of Screening for Disability Using Reproductive Technologies by Ellen Painter Dollar
Reconfiguring Religion in Disability Discourse: A Dialogue with Lennard Davis (Moderated by Hans Reinders)
Thursday Sessions, Spiritual and Religious Development
Amplifying our Witness: Giving Voice to Adolescents with Developmental Disabilities by Benjamin Conner, Ph.D.
The Spiritual Lives of People with Profound Intellectual Disabilities by John Swinton, Ph.D.
- Discussion of "Spiritual Lives of People with Disabilities" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Everybody has a Story by Cristina Gangemi
Discussion on Inclusive Religious Education by Erik Carter, Ph.D
- Notes and slides from Erik's Presentation
- Discussion of "Inclusive Religious Eucation" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Friday Sesisons, Inclusion: Reviving the Heart of Community and Congregations
Building Communities from the Inside Out Respondent by John McKnight
- Community Building in Logan Square (PDF)
- Discussion of "Building Communities" at the Summer Institute Theology and Disability Forum
Community Building by Bill Gaventa
- Institute on disability looks beyond 'inclusion' from the National Catholic Reporter
Cooperative Resource Exhibit
There was a tremendous collection of resources available from the conference, many of them are listed below. You can also find these and many others listed in the Faith Ability Bookstore
- Amazing Gifts: Stories of Faith, Disability, and Inclusion
- Ministry With Persons With Mental Illness and Their Families
- Esau's Blessing: How the Bible embraces those with Special Needs
- Good and Perfect Gift, A: Faith, Expectations, and a Little Girl Named Penny
- Autism and Faith: A Journey into Community
- Brain Inury: When the Call Comes. A Congregational Resource
- 2010 and 2011 Summer Institute on Theology and Disability Resources
- Still Growing: 27 Years of Original Songs by Tom Hunter
- The Paradox of Disability: Responses to Jean Vanier and L'Arche Communities from Theology and the Sciences
- Receiving the Gift of Friendship: Profound Disability, Theological Anthropology, and Ethics
- Disability in the Christian Tradition: A Reader
- The Bible, Disability, and the Church: A New Vision of the People of God
- Amplifying Our Witness: Giving Voice to Adolescents with Developmental Disabilities
- Dementia: Living in the Memories of God
- Autism and Your Church
- Beyond Suffering Study Guide
- Supportive Care in the Congregation
- After We're Gone: A Christian perspective on estate and life plannning for families that include a dependent member with a disability
- Disability and Isaiah's Suffering Servant
- SPEAKING OUT: Gifts of Ministering Undeterred by Disabilities
- No Easy Choice: A Story of Disability, Parenthood, and Faith in an Age of Advanced Reproduction